Special Educational Needs

School Information

SEND Coordinator

Miss R. Howard

Miss Howard is the Special Educational Needs Coordinator at The Parkgate Academy.

As the SENCo, she supports the staff by coordinating provision, training and communication with external agencies to ensure children achieve their potential and develop their independence, as they progress through school. To support the pupils with SEND, she aims to work effectively and alongside parents to provide the best support for the young person.

As always, the child’s class teacher is always the first point of contact  for any concern; however, the team are also happy to support wherever possible.

Please refer to the ‘Local Offer’ page to find out more about how The Parkgate Academy supports children with SEND.

SEND local offer

The government has listened to what parents say about their experiences of what services are like and have put in place a number of things to bring about improvements. One of these is the Local Offer.

Local authorities and other services will set out a local offer of all services available to support children who are disabled or who have SEND and their families. This easy-to-understand information for parents and young people will set out what is normally available to help children with lower-level SEND, as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.

You can read detailed information about how The Parkgate Academy can help your child if he or she has Special Educational needs and/or disablilities in the following Parkgate SEND Local Offer Policy below.

Support Organisations

Who can support your child?


Educational Psychologists give advice to schools, parents and Local Authorities on the needs and difficulties of children and on ways of helping them. The psychologist may want to give your child some things to do individually. They may also observe your child in a classroom or nursery, visit you in your home and talk to the teacher and anyone else who knows your child well. Educational Psychologists focus on how to help your child learn and offer advice around this. They do not offer therapy.


Physiotherapists are trained to assess your child’s mobility and physical development. This might include things like co-ordination, ability to sit, stand and walk. They can advise the school on how best to help your child develop, how best to keep your child as mobile as possible and on any appropriate specialist equipment your child might need. A physiotherapist can work with you and the school to deliver a programme to help your child’s mobility.


Speech and Language Therapy Service If your child is having problems speaking or communicating with other people, the school may seek advice from a speech and language therapist. They are trained in providing assessment and support with speech and communication development in children.


The Inclusion Support Service (ISS) is organised on an area basis (North and South). Each area has a team of specialist teachers and teaching assistants with a wide range of skills and experience. They work with pupils, parents, staff in schools or early years settings and other professionals.


If you are experiencing difficulties at home with you children and would like some support, school can refer to a Family Support Worker from the Children’s Centre. A Family Support Worker can offer support such as behaviour management, help with routines, advice re accessing benefits and signpost to other support within the community. Contact Mrs Mallinson for more details.


The Physical Disability Support Service has been developed to improve co-ordination of Local Authority services to meet the needs of pupils with physical disabilities. The service provides mainstream schools with advice, support and training.


Occupational Therapists are trained to help your child be as independent as possible, advising on equipment if necessary.


They are qualified nurses with extra training in child health and can also advise the school about health and medical needs.


The Parkgate Academy can offer you and your child effective support and provision for children with Dyslexia. Learn more about how parents can help their child if they are suffering from dyslexia.

Play Therapy

In-school play therapy service

The Parkgate Academy funds the ‘Think Children’ service who deliver play therapy/ social emotional support.

If you feel that your child would benefit from this support then please speak to Mrs Mallinson. Your child’s teacher may discuss this with you if they feel this support would benefit your child.


How to support a child with dyslexia

Send Related Policies

Care plans, medicines, healthcare, accessibility and intervention